Friday, December 12, 2008

46 - Causing an obstruction at a turnstile

I hate it when things get in my way in general, but when it comes to a turnstile, it's especially irritating because it just happens so often. Here in Hong Kong, we have a smart card called the Octopus card (pictured right) and it's used to pass through a turnstile in a metro system efficiently since you don't need to buy a ticket every time or take a card out of your wallet. I hate to sound self-centered, but there are some times when I think some people are purposefully getting in my damn way just because they can, just to anger me.

Every morning, this happens. Every morning, it's always some businessman who didn't anticipate the turnstile and take out his wallet in time. Or it's some elderly person that walks really slowly. Or it's some child that ran ahead of his parents, stopping in his tracks only to realize that he has to wait for his parents to come over with his card before he can go through. Or maybe sometimes, it's just the damn turnstile that doesn't turn for some reason and obstructs a person from crossing the first time, but the second, third or fourth time of trying instead.

This happens every time, I swear, every time. It's twice a day to and from school, but it's annoying beyond belief when it happens everyday. It's a damn turnstile and it shouldn't be such a long, difficult process for some people. You just slide through it, swiftfully, gracefully, quickly, smoothly, fluidly. Why on Earth, why the Hell, why in God's name is it so hard for some people to just walk a couple of steps and push a damn bar? Why, damn it, why?

The world doesn't revolve around me but if I was king of the world, I'd set up a personal turnstile for me and me only at every stop just so nobody else will ever get in my way again.

9 comments:

Toivoa ja Elämän said...

Mmmm, here in Australia, or Adelaide at least, we don't have turnstiles at many places, train stations, entrance to the big fairground we have here, etc. And we don't have many trains.
But it's the same principle as with buses. If you have a multitrip or a pre bought public transport ticket, have it out and ready so you can put it in the machine as soon as you reach it! Which is only half a step after walking through the door, and while waiting at the bus stop, surely you have time to take it out.
And when entering the train station, where turnstiles actually come into it, same deal.
So, I agree with you again, it's really irritating >.<

Douglas said...

If you were King of the World, you wouldn't have to go through any turnstiles... ever.

In my life, I have been in thousands of lines (queues to some). I have found only one truth about them. The other one moves faster.

Douglas

generic Brand said...

Why is this a problem? Couldn't you just jump the turnstile? They do it in the movies all the time, and if movies aren't a window into reality, I don't know what to believe.

Michael said...

Toivoa: Exactly. This actually happens everywhere, although, I didn't want to lash it all out in one post. It happens on zebra crossings, in supermarket queues, when you exit a ferry or a cinema or school, everywhere.

Douglas: The other ones have all the darn luck.

generic Brand: I'm Chinese, but I don't know how to kung-fu jump a turnstile. Maybe I will have to learn...

Toivoa ja Elämän said...

haha oh okay, i see, spreading the hate rather than concentrating... :S
i don't know what i'm talking about lol

Michael said...

Larissa: 'Tis true. Nice way of putting it. But I have 'concentrated' in a way... instance of obstruction when walking around.

J.J. in L.A. said...

Get thee into a wheelchair. I always go through gates and never turnstiles. Of course, I have to wait for someone to open said gate, so what have I really gained? lol!

Unknown said...

People may hate this while walking by. But sometimes Turnstile gate system play an essential role

lost_in_woods said...

thank you for posting visti for servicrs turnstile gates dubai
tripod turnstiles dubai