Sunday, November 22, 2009

192 - When tough-looking guys do non-tough-looking things

Every morning here at my university, I have a free breakfast that comes along with the fee of my accommodation. I love breakfast, and I get really crabby if I miss it. So, I make sure to be up at 7:30, and I get dressed and everything to leave my room at 7:55.

When I get to the canteen at 8 o'clock, on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays, there's a guy there that works as a server. I'm about the height of his shoulder, barely, yet he's the one that serves me, a guy that's shorter and scrawnier, food.

I'm very wary of the fact that this guy's bigger than me, and it makes me uncomfortable asking him to perform a simple task like putting a sausage or an egg on a plate. There's something about big guys in the catering industry, especially at a university serving breakfast, that's deeply unnerving. I don't quite know what to think about it, because whenever I ask for some toast or some beans, he'll look at me with this menacing gaze that reads, "I don't actually like to work here. I hate this job, but I'm doing it because I need the money."

It's very discomforting, and I almost want to resort my breakfasts to only the other days of the week, when a smaller, friendlier Vietnamese girl works the line instead.

6 comments:

Plentymorefishoutofwater said...

Haha, you have power issues, Michael! I used to be a dinnerlady in a university halls of residence, as it happens.
Nice post.
plentymorefishoutofwater.blogspot.com/

Intern said...

it is kinda uneasy to order around a big person.

why dont you try bossing him arround and see what happens :D

Unknown said...

Don't you mean you stay up all night waiting for breakfast?
Haha.

OHHHH!!! TOMORROW THE BOX SHOULD BE THERE!

:]

tattytiara said...

I'm not really able to wish people smaller than me worked in the service industry, seeing as how child labour's been outlawed and all.

Kate said...

I like it! I never used to make the breakfast at uni - always overslept! Kate x

lost_in_woods said...

thank you for posting visti for servicrs turnstile gates dubai
tripod turnstiles dubai